Smokey tempe in a green curry-flavored stir fry. Great weeknight dinner, and conveniently vegan-friendly!
I have posted so many curry recipes lately lol. This is how you know it’s winter and I’m lazy. You can tell I love curry but sometimes eating the same thing over and over gets boring. That’s why I try to create different dishes that have the same base. The frozen green curry paste cubes that I keep around are great for adding to stir fries if you’re tired of eating soup-y/stew-y curry.
You can do this with other curry pastes too! Japanese curry cubes (which you can also make yourself), red curry paste, madras curry, etc. This is why it’s great to have some frozen curry cubes in your freezer. Choose whatever type you want to make and have it in your freezer for some lazy 15-minute stir fries. Tempeh makes this even faster to cook too since there’s no risk of under-cooking. I fried them beforehand in this recipe because I wanted them to be crispy, but you could honestly just lightly brown.
This is also a great way to do a fridge cleanup. Rummage through your fridge for any lackluster veggies, maybe throw an egg or two in there (or not you’re keepin’ it vegan). Top it over a bowl of rice (which can cook while you’re prepping your stir fry) and you got yourself a meal!
Dry Green Curry Stir Fry
- 450 g tempe (2 small packs)
- 100 g green beans about 2 handfuls chopped
- 5~10 mushrooms chopped
- Half a bell pepper sliced
- 2 small carrots peeled & sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic peeled & crushed
- 2 frozen green curry cubes* (around 40g)
- 1 frozen coconut milk cube (or 20g coconut milk, or you can omit)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce optional (to keep it vegan, use coconut aminos/tamari instead)
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Salt to taste
- Neutral flavored oil as needed
- Heat up a skillet with oil on medium high, enough so it covers the whole pan. Slice the tempe into thin slices and shallow fry til browned on both sides. If you do not want to fry the tempe you can add less oil and fry for less time, it won't be as crispy.
- If frying the tempe, fry in batches and set aside the finished slices. In this case, they will stay set aside until the end of the recipe. If not, add everything else while keeping the tempe in. Add crushed garlic & cook til fragrant.
- Add green beans, carrots, mushroom, and bell pepper. Cook til softened a bit. Add the curry cubes and coconut milk.
- Add fish sauce, white pepper, and salt. If frying tempe, add it back in and stir to coat with sauce.
- If your sauce is a bit thin and doesn't stick to the ingredients, you can mix a little bit of cornstarch with some cold water and pour it in.
Have fun! Let me know if you make this by tagging me on Instagram at @izzypreps or commenting below. Use the #LeaveNoLeftovers for your fridge cleanups!