Quick and easy green curry, perfect for weeknight cravings after a quick trip to your local Asian grocery store! Made even faster if you got some homemade green curry paste in your freezer!
Go see my green curry paste recipe if you want to know how to make it from scratch. Otherwise, store-bought will do.
Green curry is actually super easy to make once you have the paste. The only difficult thing is sourcing ingredients (Thai basil, Thai eggplant, etc.). Tbh you don’t even really HAVE to go get those ingredients, use whatever you have on hand. Just don’t go raving about how authentic your last minute green curry with spinach and tomatoes or whatever was to your Thai friends lol.
Trying to be as ‘authentic’ as possible in this recipe since I am labeling it as ‘Thai Green Curry’. That being said there’s still stuff I can’t source in Canada, like palm sugar and actual kaffir lime (thank god for the frozen leaves). I also don’t usually use a mortar and pestle for the curry paste. So I make do with what I had, and you can do the same.
P.S. Use coconut cream & not coconut milk! It’s thicker & better!
Thai Green Curry
- 500 g chicken thighs (can use whole chicken/any part of chicken, bone in or out)*
- 60g green curry paste (around 3 cubes if you froze it), around 4 tbsp
- 240 g chicken stock 1 cup, or water (see *)
- 1 can coconut cream
- 5~10 kaffir lime leaves amount according to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (palm sugar if you have it, I used a substitute)
- 2 tsp fish sauce optional, can sub with salt
- 1 handful green beans
- 1 red bell pepper
- 5~10 Thai eggplants
- 1 handful Thai basil leaves
- Cut chicken thighs into small cubes.
- Prepare the veggies: Cut off the ends of the green beans, slice the bell peppers, and cut the eggplants into quarters.
- Heat up coconut cream in a large wok or wide mouthed pot on medium high until it starts to bubble.
- Add the curry paste and mix well.
- Add the chicken thighs and mix well, let simmer for 5~7min.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves, chicken stock, fish sauce, and sugar. Turn the heat down to medium.
- Add in green beans, let simmer for 2min.
- Add the red bell peppers and eggplant. Continue to simmer for another 2min. Taste and adjust (fish sauce for saltiness, sugar for sweetness).
- Turn the heat off and stir in the basil leaves. Enjoy!